Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Best Free Audio Short Stories

A few weeks ago I posted my list of Best Free Audiobooks. I got a great response for this post, so I thought I'd do another one with my favorite free short stories that I've reviewed at Free Listens. Of course such lists are inherently silly, as they depend upon the listmaker's tastes, current mood, memory, and a host of other little factors that have nothing to do with the quality of the story. So, if you'd rather, here's a list of 10 really darn good stories (but maybe not the best):
  1. "The Lottery" - Shirley Jackson
  2. "A Rose for Emily" - William Faulkner
  3. "The Gospel According to Mark" - Jorge Louis Borges
  4. "The Gift of the Magi" - O. Henry
  5. "Nightfall" by Isaac Asimov
  6. "Bullet in the Brain" - Tobias Wolff
  7. "A Sound of Thunder" - Ray Bradbury 
  8. "The Monkey's Paw" - W.W. Jacobs
  9. "The Open Window" - Saki
  10. "The Yellow Wallpaper" - Charlotte Perkins Gilman

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You missed Shadowmagic by John Lenahan

Sayeth said...

I reviewed Shadowmagic here. It's an okay book, but not one of the best.

Strawberry Girl said...

This is terrific! Thank you for creating these lists! :)