Friday, October 28, 2011

"The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe

Source: Tell Tale Weekly (mp3)
Length: 8 minutes
Reader: Alex Wilson

The poem: "Nevermore." This poem is probably already familiar to you, but it's worth a listen as we approach Halloween weekend. Read aloud, it has a rhythm that builds its suspense that doesn't show up in print.

This isn't a horror of violence, but the horror of depression. I think it's an experience that is more relevant. Personally, I've often felt the loss of a loved one, but very rarely have I felt physically threatened. This horror is real and ever-present, which gives Poe's poem its lasting impact beyond the memorable refrain.

Rating: 8 / 10

The reader: I've reviewed Wilson's readings before (see my review of "The Tell Tale Heart"). It's obvious he loves reading Poe's work. This poem, with its strong rhythm and rhyme, can easily become singsong. Wilson avoids this trap and embodies the pathos of the narrator This is a very good recording of a classic poem.

2 comments:

engelsigh said...

I'm a fan of Edgar Allen Poe, so thanks for the review. I know Teen fiction isn't really your thing...but in a sea of vampire and werewolf stories that are popular right now, there's actually a series that pays homage to Poe - called Nevermore by Kelly Creagh...I really enjoyed it.

HKatz said...

Excellent suggestion. I love coming across a good audio recording of a Poe poem.

I discovered your blog via the Book Blog network. Among other things I write about good short fiction on my blog, though other than poetry I don't listen to recordings of literature. It's still interesting to read your reviews of both the content and the reader's style and delivery.